It was this morning that the new US law came into force requiring all travellers, including American and Canadian citizens, to have a valid passport or other approved secure document when entering the United States. Indeed, under the United States Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (White), precise documents are required when we want to go through American territory. Everyone knows the passport. On the other hand, maybe you’ve heard about the license plus. A plus driver’s license (PC Plus) and a plus identity card (CI Plus) are acceptable documents to enter the United States by land or sea only.
The more license what is it?
If you don’t want to shell out for a passport because you only travel by land or sea, you can simply apply for a plus permit. But a plus license what is it? In fact, both a driver’s license and a travel title, the Plus permit is a permit that will allow you to cross the U.S. border, whether you are travelling by land or sea (by car, by train, by bus, by boat,..).
The plus permit is equipped with a chip that is readable by the customs stations. The more driver’s license chip contains a unique number. It does not contain any personal information about you. Even if an unauthorized person could read the chip number, they would not be able to access your personal information that is kept in the Canadian government databases.
The benefits of the licence plus
If the permit Plus is suitable for your type of travel, here are its advantages:
– its practical format;
– The fact of being able to always have it on oneself facilitates spontaneous displacement;
– Cheaper than a passport (the plus licence is valid for a 4-year period and costs $40 more than the regular driver’s licence price, as opposed to a passport that is valid for 5 years and costs approximately $87);
– A document that has two functions:
* Certify your privilege to drive
* Indicate your identity and citizenship to enter the United States by land or sea
How to get a license plus?
Here are the conditions to get more permits:
– Being a Canadian citizen residing in Quebec (supporting documents)
– Hold a valid plastic support driver’s licence or probationary permit (the permit is not valid if it is suspended, revoked or expired for more than 3 years)
If you meet the requirements, you must make an appointment with the SAAQ
-On the Internet with Online Services.
– By phone from Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
* Quebec region: 418 528-4050
* Montreal Area: 514 954-7750
* Elsewhere: 1 866 719-4557 (Quebec, Canada, USA)
Before you go to the appointment to get your licence over, you will need to:
– Have completed the citizenship Questionnaire (without signing it)
– Have completed the travel restrictions Questionnaire (without signing it)
– have two pieces of identification, including one with your photo, and a document proving your Canadian citizenship (refer to the applicant’s Guide).
Once completed, the SAAQ transmits the driver’s licence Plus to the applicant a few days after his application in the service centre has been accepted. The Plus permit is sent by regular mail, as for the current permit.
Before you can use your license Plus to cross US customs, you will have to activate it by our online service or by phone.